History of the Exterior
An Outside Look at Reynolds Taverns
Reynolds Tavern is a well-proportioned, two-and-a-half story, five-bay wide, gambrel-roofed brick structure with a center entrance. The original cellar window openings were shortened almost a foot when Church Circle was graded and paved with brick in 1832.
The brick front façade is laid in all-header bond above the projecting watertable, which is laid in English bond because of the added strength of interlocking headers and stretchers. A highly distinctive, four-course-deep belt divides the front façade at the second-floor line. The belt follows the curve of the arched windows below.
The central entrance has a modern door. The original door hung in place until 1964 when the library replaced it – likely to comply with local building requirements that doors open outward. The transom, however, dates from 1812. The pedimented entrance porch is an early and valuable addition to the front façade. It was the work of John Shaw, an important cabinet maker of Annapolis who was engaged by Farmers Bank in 1812 to make improvements to the property. The design of the porch is similar to the porch Shaw designed and built at his own residence on State Circle.
Paint evidence shows that whitewash was applied to the brick between 1747 and 1812. By 1890, the whitewash was wearing off and, by the turn of the century, the brickwork was stripped clean.